Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Not Only Do Summers Fly By...

But so do missions opportunities! What an amazing summer I've had here at North Myrtle Beach, SC.  A quick 'bring you up to date' -- I've been on a summer mission project here in NMB, SC where 100 college students involved in Cru from the Upper Midwest region have traveled here to grow in their faith, to learn to share it, and to build community with fellow believers. Not only do the students get stretched in amazing ways, but so do staff members. Often we, as staff, are viewed as the mature ones here, but as many believers know, you never "arrive" at maturity until we reach eternity with Jesus in heaven! So, as the LORD continues to sanctify me in life, I continue to be stretched. It's hard, but I love it. I will certainly share more about that, but first I want to share some cool things about my guys I get to pour into this summer!

Their names are Alec, Brady, Brandon, Jared, and Ryan -- I've grown to enjoy my friendship with each one of these guys. Every single one of them is unique and full of quarks and gifts that the LORD has given them. Alec is a great musician and uses it for the LORD; he also is extremely easy going and fun to hang out with. Brady has a very friendly demeanor and it's impossible to get mad at him, where he walks, peace and joy follow. Brandon has the heart of a servant and works with passion behind the scenes to help build and edify the body for the sake of the Gospel. Jared is a very intentional relator and extremely intellectual; you can't leave a conversation with him feeling uncared for and like your life isn't interesting. Finally Ryan is a soft-spoken and passionate individual who's always seeking the LORD in every move and decision he makes, truly desiring what God wants for his life and the lives of those around him. Please be praying for them as they continue to grow through the rest of the summer!

Left to Right: Ryan, Brandon, Alec, Jared, me, Brady

Alec also keeps a blog you can read here!
Not only have I had the privilege to pour into these guys, but throughout the course of the summer I've been able to encourage, serve, and intercede for countless others that are around - students on project, and those who are living around us that are here for the summer to party to no end. God has been teaching me a lot about this all summer. Each day is full of opportunities to both bless believers and non-believers alike. Two verses have really spurred me on this summer:
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."
 - Galatians 6:9-10

"Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us that God may open a door to us for the message, to speak the mystery of the Messiah, for which I am in prison, so that I may reveal it as I am required to speak. Act wisely toward outsiders, making the most of every opportunityYour speech should always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you should answer each person."
 - Colossians 4:2-6
Like never before, the LORD has been challenging me this summer to make the most of every opportunity that we have and to step out in faith and trust Him to move in all things as we are obedient to Him. It has been an extremely exciting experience.

The end of my time in NMB is fast approaching, I head back home at the end of the month with the other staff members. Meanwhile the students stay for another full 5 weeks and grow together apart from us. I'm excited to leave, but will miss this summer in ways like I've never missed a place. Seasons come and go, but the LORD remains the same. And in the sameness he is always faithful -- we can trust this as we take the next steps. Please be in prayer for me! When I return to the Upper Midwest, I'll be looking for housing in Mankato and in seemingly no time, colleges will be starting up and ministry will be in full-swing. This transition is quite possibly the biggest one I've ever been through and I absolutely am thrilled for the adventure God has been providing since it's begun and am looking forward to continuing to work it out and the LORD leads. Thank you for your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment